This is a fab, fast dinner that the kids love because they get to put it together themselves. The chicken in this recipe goes a long way so it’s really economical and can be substituted with pork or even your leftover roast. It can also be served cold, in a lunch box or on the run. Feel free to add other condiments such as tomato salsa or guacamole, whatever takes your fancy! This recipe serves a family of five.
- 8-10 large flour tortilla wraps (it really depends how full you stuff them!)*
- 1/2 white onion, thinly sliced into half moons
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced thinly into long strips
- Splash of rape seed oil
- 2-4 tsp BBQ seasoning (we like the ‘Old Elpaso’, smoky bbq, fajita seasoning)
- 1 red pepper, sliced into sticks
- 1 yellow pepper, sliced into sticks
- 2 spring onions, sliced into thin finger lengths
- Finger length chunk of cucumber, sliced into sticks
- Large carrot, sliced into sticks
- 3 tbsp sour cream or natural yogurt
- Small bunch chives (optional)
*My lot tend to pile in the fillings, so only eat one or possibly two wraps. If you make them with less filling (better for take-away), you may need more tortillas
- Gently fry the onion in the oil until translucent
- Add the chicken and continue to fry for a couple of minutes
- If you prefer your peppers cooked, add them now (we like them raw)
- Add the bbq seasoning and stir to coat
- Continue to fry until the chicken is cooked through (should only take a few minutes as it is thinly cut)
- Arrange the salad sticks on a plate, keeping some of the green ends of spring onion back
- Chop the green spring onions and chives finely and stir into the sour cream or yoghurt
- Serve everything separately so individuals and create their own wraps!
- Fold in at the bottom (as shown) then fold in each side to create an open ended wrap
- Fold top and bottom before rolling to create a closed wrap to take away
Enjoy your quick BBQ chicken and salad wraps!!
Previous recipes: Super Easy Leek & Bacon Baked Risotto, Salmon Noodle Stir-Fry, Butternut Squash Pasta Bake, One Pot Mild Thai Green Curry, Chicken, Tomato & Borlotti Bean Stew with Chicken Crisps, Quick Tuna & Olive Spaghetti, Easy Chicken & Bacon Risotto, Spaghetti & Mozzarella Meatballs, Gluten & Dairy Free Mini Fish Pies, Toad in the Hole with a Twist, Pop Chicken Nuggets, Chicken ‘Kinda’ Kiev Crunchy Salmon Fishcakes, The Best Bolognese, Quick Spinach and Watercress Soup, Chicken & Spinach Pasta Bake, Easy Bacon and Monkfish Risotto, Hake in a Cheesy Sauce, Roasted Vegetable Pasta Sauce, Chinese Salmon, Chorizo and veg pasta & Homemade fish (or chicken) fingers.
Click here for more quick, cheap and healthy dinner ideas and follow my blog for regular Kids Tea Tuesdays! xx