This must be one of my easiest recipes! It’s so simple yet super tasty and you can easily adjust the recipe to suit every taste as well as use up leftovers! It really does tick all the boxes if you are looking for something cheap and easy for the whole family and though the jacket potatoes take a while to cook initially, you can chuck them in and get on with something else while they cook. Substitute the bacon for a small tin of tuna and the mushrooms for tinned or frozen sweetcorn for a fishy, store cupboard option or combine spinach (frozen, defrosted, squeezed and chopped) with chicken to use up the leftover roast, the possibilities are endless!
- One large baking potato per person
- Oil (we use rape seed but any cooking oil will do)
- Sprinkle of sea salt
- 2 rashers of back bacon (or 5 streaky) finely chopped
- 50g button mushrooms, quartered
- 25g cheddar cheese (or dairy free alternative), grated
- 25g butter (or dairy free alternative, we use Pure range)
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- Fork over the potatoes, coat in oil and sprinkle with a little salt
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 90 minutes
- Meanwhile, fry off the bacon until crispy and cook the mushrooms in a small saucepan with a little of the butter
- Once the jacket potatoes are cooked through, using oven gloves, slice off the top of each one and hollow out the potato and lid into a bowl
- Drop the oven temperature to 140C and place the hollowed out skins plus lids back into the oven to crisp up while you prepare the filling
- Add the remaining butter to the potato and mash
- Add the spring onion, crispy bacon, mushrooms and cheese and mix well
- Remove the skins from the oven (they don’t need long to crisp) and fill them with the potato mix
- For an added extra, you could top with more cheese and melt it in the oven for a couple of minutes!
- Top with the crispy lid and serve with a side salad
Enjoy your Easy Bacon and Mushroom Stuffed Cheesy Jackets!!
The most popular Kid’s Tea Tuesdays recipes this week were:
- Quick Leek and Potato Soup with Parmesan Crackers
- Super Tasty Chicken Fajitas
- Pork and Apple Cheesy Pancakes
Why not give one a go this week and let me know how it goes down with your family?
‘Kids Tea Tuesdays’ has been a popular feature on the blog for some time now, so I’ve decided to shake it up a bit and bring in some fresh blood! We all have our own family favourites, store cupboard classics and frugal food tricks up our sleeves, so why not share yours with us? I’ll be sharing guest posts from fellow bloggers and also any tips, tricks or recipes sent in by you! If you like to get involved, click here to drop me a message.
Click here for more quick, cheap and healthy dinner ideas and follow my blog for regular Kids Tea Tuesdays! xx
One thought on “Easy Bacon and Mushroom, Crispy Jackets”