This is such an easy, cheap pasta recipe that uses every day ingredients, can be prepared in advance and has all the elements of a well balanced meal. I often make the chicken, leek & tomato pasta bake and stick it in the oven on a timer so it bakes while we are at after-school clubs, therefore avoiding the 45 minute moan while they are waiting for dinner! Serve it all by itself or with a side salad/ steamed veg, you can even adjust the recipe to use up leftover roast chicken! For other quick pasta recipes click here. This recipe serves a family of 5 (or more if you serve with salad or extra veg).
- 400g whole wheat dry pasta
- 4 chicken thighs, skinned, boned and cut into bite sized pieces
- Drizzle of cooking oil (I like rape seed)
- 1 small leek, sliced thinly into rounds
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp dry mixed herbs
- 1/2 mug frozen peas
- 1/2 mug frozen sweet corn
- Salt and pepper
- 1 ball mozzarella, sliced -the really cheap ones are perfect as they are firmer and so allow you to slice thinly
- 50g cheddar cheese, grated
- Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions minus 1 minute. For whole wheat pasta, I would normally cook for 10 minutes but for this recipe only 9 as it will cook again when baked in the oven
- Meanwhile, gently fry off the chicken pieces and set aside
- In a large frying pan, gently fry the leek in a little oil until soft
- Add the garlic and keep stirring for a couple of minutes to avoid it burning
- Add the tinned tomatoes, mixed herbs, salt and pepper, bring to a simmer (I use this sauce for cooking meatballs too- delicious!)
- Turn off the heat and chuck in the frozen veg and stir (this will cool it down)
- Drain the pasta with a sieve and plunge in cold water, drain again and add to the frying pan along with the cooled chicken
- Chuck the lot into an oven proof dish
- Top with the slices of mozzarella and top that with the grated cheddar
- Bake at 180C for around 45 minutes until the cheese is golden and bubbling
- Once assembled, this dish can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 days before baking
- Enjoy your chicken, leek & tomato pasta bake!!
The most popular Kid’s Tea Tuesdays recipes this week were:
- Cheesy Carrot, Courgette & Pea Fritter Stacks
- Easy Salmon & Sweet Potato Fish Cakes
- Beef & Lentil Beany Tacos
Why not give one a go this week and let me know how it goes down with your family?
Have you got a family favourite that you’d like to share? Click here to send in your recipe and I’ll post my favourites over the next few weeks!!
Click here for more quick, cheap and healthy dinner ideas and follow my blog for regular Kids Tea Tuesdays! xx