This is a really quick and easy leek and potato soup recipe that makes a truly warming and hearty meal in the winter months. It’s quick because everything is blended at the end so there’s no need for careful chopping. The thinly sliced potatoes, mean that they cook really quickly and it’s all done in less than 20 minutes. Leftover, cold meat could also be added or maybe a poached egg for some extra protein. My lot like something to dip with a bit of crunch, so we came up with these tasty parmesan crackers that can be broken up like croutons or used to dip. Any leftover soup can be easily frozen so I often make a double batch and freeze some for ‘dinner emergencies’!!
- Splash cooking oil, I use rape seed
- 1 medium leek, roughly chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 4-5 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced as thinly as you can
- 2 pints of hot stock, I use 1x chicken and 1x veg cube (remember, Knorr stock cubes are all gluten free)
- 1 tbsp dry, mixed herbs
- Salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan gently fry the leek in the oil until softened
- Add the garlic and keep stirring for a couple of minutes to prevent burning
- Add the potatoes, herbs and hot stock and bring to a boil for 8 minutes
- The potatoes should now be cooked through
- Whizz with a hand-held blender
- Season with salt and pepper to taste -I often find that it doesn’t need any salt because of the stock cube!
- Sprinkle the grated parmesan over the cracker and place under a hot grill for 2-3 mins, keep an eye on it!
- Once the cheese begins to brown, they are ready
- Serve the crackers broken up, sprinkled on the soup or at the side
Enjoy your leek and potato soup with parmesan crackers!!
Previous recipes: Baked Cod with Root Veg Chips, Tomato Soup with Crispy Ham Croutons, Quick Bbq Chicken & Salad Wraps, Super Easy Leek & Bacon Baked Risotto, Salmon Noodle Stir-Fry, Butternut Squash Pasta Bake, One Pot Mild Thai Green Curry, Chicken, Tomato & Borlotti Bean Stew with Chicken Crisps, Quick Tuna & Olive Spaghetti, Easy Chicken & Bacon Risotto, Spaghetti & Mozzarella Meatballs, Gluten & Dairy Free Mini Fish Pies, Toad in the Hole with a Twist, Pop Chicken Nuggets, Chicken ‘Kinda’ Kiev Crunchy Salmon Fishcakes, The Best Bolognese, Quick Spinach and Watercress Soup, Chicken & Spinach Pasta Bake, Easy Bacon and Monkfish Risotto, Hake in a Cheesy Sauce, Roasted Vegetable Pasta Sauce, Chinese Salmon, Chorizo and veg pasta & Homemade fish (or chicken) fingers.
Click here for more quick, cheap and healthy dinner ideas and follow my blog for regular Kids Tea Tuesdays! xx