This is a really quick tomato soup recipe that uses tinned tomatoes and other store cupboard ingredients. It’s quick because everything is blended at the end so there’s not need for careful chopping, just bung it all in, heat and whizz! The addition of the crispy ham croutons, turns it into a main meal, but this could be substituted for a poached egg if you want to keep it vegetarian. We bake a gammon most weeks to use for sandwiches and meals throughout the week as packed, sliced ham is so expensive. I invented the crispy ham croutons to use up that last extra thick slice of gammon, thats gone a bit hard anyway (during baking) and is too thick for a sarnie, however, bacon would work well too! This recipe serves a family of five but is easily adjustable, just add an extra tin of tomatoes per adult!
- Splash cooking oil, I use rape seed
- 1 small red onion, roughly chopped- any onion would do, red just adds to the rich colour of the soup
- 2 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 4 x 400g tins, tomatoes
- 1 tbsp dried basil (if you have fresh, even better!)
- Salt and pepper
- Approx 1 tsp sugar
- Swirl of double cream to top each serving (more could be mixed in if you like it creamy)
For the croutons:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 slices of bread chopped into 1.5cm squares (I use up the ends of the bread, white, granary, all work well)
- Thick slice of gammon (or 6 rashers, bacon), chopped finely
- In a large saucepan gently fry the onion in the oil until translucent
- Add the garlic and keep stirring for a couple of minutes to prevent burning
- Add the tomatoes, basil and a good twist of both salt and pepper
- Bring to a simmer
- In a frying pan, heat a little of the olive oil and fry off the ham or bacon until crispy and remove from pan
- Add the remaining oil and bread and fry, tossing regularly, until golden
- Return the ham/ bacon to the pan and toss together
- Whizz the soup with a hand-held blender
- Season with more salt and pepper to taste if needed
- Add sugar to taste. The amount really depends on the tomatoes and may not be needed at all.
- Serve the soup with a swirl of double cream and the croutons on top.
Enjoy your quick tomato soup with crispy ham croutons!!
Previous recipes: Quick Bbq Chicken & Salad Wraps, Super Easy Leek & Bacon Baked Risotto, Salmon Noodle Stir-Fry, Butternut Squash Pasta Bake, One Pot Mild Thai Green Curry, Chicken, Tomato & Borlotti Bean Stew with Chicken Crisps, Quick Tuna & Olive Spaghetti, Easy Chicken & Bacon Risotto, Spaghetti & Mozzarella Meatballs, Gluten & Dairy Free Mini Fish Pies, Toad in the Hole with a Twist, Pop Chicken Nuggets, Chicken ‘Kinda’ Kiev Crunchy Salmon Fishcakes, The Best Bolognese, Quick Spinach and Watercress Soup, Chicken & Spinach Pasta Bake, Easy Bacon and Monkfish Risotto, Hake in a Cheesy Sauce, Roasted Vegetable Pasta Sauce, Chinese Salmon, Chorizo and veg pasta & Homemade fish (or chicken) fingers.
Click here for more quick, cheap and healthy dinner ideas and follow my blog for regular Kids Tea Tuesdays! xx
/” rel=”nofollow” title=”Diary of An Imperfect Mum”><img src=”http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii606/Petite_Pudding/EatSleepBlogRT_zpspxcphlyk.png” alt=”Diary of An Imperfect Mum” style=”border: none;” /></a></div>
2 thoughts on “Quick Tomato Soup with Crispy Ham Croutons”
Love how simple this is, looks so delicious! #eatsleepblogrt
Love how easy this and you can’t beat tomato soup in the winter! #eatsleepblogrt