In this post, I’m going share a really quick and simple butt shaping home workout that you can do at home in less than 30 minutes!
Before we begin…..
Disclaimer: Please exercise responsibly, checking all equipment before use and that you have clear space around you. You should build your fitness level gradually and choose the level, weight or resistance you are working with cautiously. Please check out my full disclaimer before continuing with this workout. If any exercise causes pain, stop immediately. Feel free to message me with any questions.
For this butt shaping home workout you will need:
- Yoga mat (or a few thin cushions to lie on)
- A cushion (for hard floor) or plastic plate/ lid (for carpet)
- Rucksack/ 2 carrier bags filled with books (adjustable to desired weight)
- Resistance band or old pair of tights
Before starting we need to activate those glutes. This ‘wakes up’ the muscle to make sure it fires up to give each exercise maximum benefit.
4-Sign Glute Activation: 3 x 20 seconds each side
Sit on a kitchen chair with back straight and right ankle on left knee. Place hands on ankle and knee as shown. Squeeze your right butt cheek for 20 seconds and then repeat on the other side:
Step-up Glute Activation: 3 x 20 seconds each side
Stand with right foot on a kitchen (solid) chair. Press the foot onto the chair as though you are about to step up and feel the right gluteal muscle contract. Hold for 20 seconds and then repeat on the other side:
Butt Shaping Circuit
Perform each exercise in turn as described below. Repeat the circuit 4 times for maximum benefit.
Exercise 1: Hamstring slides x8
- Press hips up and squeeze bum
- Slide out 3 seconds
- Slide in 1 second
- Keep hips pressing up throughout
Exercise 2: Walking lunges x10 each leg
- Lunge x10 on left before switching to right
- Turn out leading foot 5 degrees
- Knee should bend over little toe (pressing outwards)
- Press weight into outside of front foot as you lunge
- Back knees drops towards floor
Exercise 3: Basic RDLs (Romanian deadlifts) x10
- Hold a weight in both hands
- Set and engage shoulders in neutral position
- Push body weight into heels as you bend at hips
- Keep knees soft and weight close to legs
- Ensure shoulder blades are constantly engaged so upper back remains straight
- Bend forwards for a count of 4 seconds, to the point that you feel your hamstrings (back of thigh), this will depend on individual flexibility
- Squeeze glutes to stand, 1 second
Exercise 4: Elevated banded bridges x40
- Tie a resistance band or pair of tights just above knees at hip width
- Lie with feet on a stable chair or sofa, hip width apart
- Press hips up constantly throughout the set
- Knees press apart, activating the gluteus medius
- Controlled movement keeping tension on the band
Finish off with some stretches relevant to the muscles we have been working. Hold each position for 30 seconds:
This workout only needs a 24 hour recovery period so you could do it every day! Team it up with an upper body, posture aligning workout or core strength, belly busting session or alternate with a legs session for a bit of variety. If your muscles ache in the following days, take a power walk, jog or cycle to get the blood pumping and aid muscle repair. You’ll be amazed how quickly your body adapts to exercise and won’t ache half as much the second time and maybe not at all, the third. By the fourth or fifth time you should be ready to up the weight or resistance but listen to your body and increase little by little.
If you’re interested in improving your health as well as your fitness, check out my ‘How to Lose Weight Forever’ page. You’ll find lots of easy lifestyle changes to help you lose or maintain a healthy weight and optimise your health.
Let me know how you get on with this butt shaping workout in the comments below. Let’s do this!